The Payne Elementary Saturday Arts Academy first launched in fall 2021 and now offers regular programming for Fall and Spring sessions, for students in grades PK3 through 5th grade. Students can take up to three hour-long classes between 9am – noon on Saturday mornings. Classes vary each session depending on vendor availability and student interest. Prior sessions have included:
|Music||Arts||Activity & Science|
|Violin||Art Club||Tae Kwon Do|
|Drums||Culinary Arts||Robots & More|
|Circle Time Music (PK)||Hip-Hop|
For information about upcoming upcoming sessions, including how to register and be notified of upcoming registration dates, please contact us (see below) and one of the volunteer organizers will be in touch shortly!
Example of Saturday Academy Partners from prior sessions
- DC Strings Workshop (All music instruction): This non-profit believes young people should experience the joys of music.
- Kindergarten-5th Grade: Keyboards, drum pads, violins, and guitars are provided to Kindergarteners to fifth graders to allow children to practice at home.
- PK3 and PK4: Circle Time Music classes are offered to PK3 and PK4 students.
- Dance Institute of Washington (Ballet & Hip Hop): Dance Institute of Washington increases the inclusive and diverse representation at every level of the professional ballet and dance industries in Washington, D.C.
- Volo Sports Foundation (Basketball): The non-profit organization believes in unlocking the power of play by making opportunities for youth sports more accessible for all kids. Students join weekly clinics taught by specialized coaches and mentors.
- Theatre Lab (Theater): D.C.’s largest and most comprehensive non-profit school for the dramatic arts will teach drama games and exercises to engage the imagination, promote self-confidence, encourage literacy, and encourage ensemble spirit. Students participate in a variety of theater activities, including improvisation, scene study, storytelling, creative writing, comedy, and mime.
- Payne’s own Mr. Creef (Robots & More): Science teacher Doug Creef runs a Robots & More science program in which children spend their morning programming age-appropriate robots and exploring other science activities.
- Payne’s own Dr. Crumb (Tae Kwon Do): The school’s own martial arts expert, Brian Crumb, teaches students the fundamentals of Tae Kwon Do.
- Payne’s own Ms. Mac (Art Club): Kindergarten teacher Marion McDowell, also known as Ms. Mac, leads Art Club students in arts and crafts projects tied to the seasons.
- Payne’s own Ms. Allen (Fashion Design): PK4 teacher Christian Allen (with her cricut machine) leads her Fashion Design students in muti-week projects in which kids design and then create projects they can wear and use: jean jackets, t-shirts, bags, hats and tumblers.