Hello, Payne Community.
A virtual PTSA meeting is scheduled for 6 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 16. Get a preview for spring activities: a June carnival, an outdoor music event and more movie nights. We’ll share a Zoom link in advance.
Speaking of that June carnival … A volunteer team is being formed to help plan a fun and safe event. We are looking for ideas for activities, auction items, or sponsors. Please email PTSA Fundraising Chair Alison Mitchell to join the planning team or submit your ideas.
CLEANING SUPPLIES NEEDED
The school is asking parents to send cleaning supplies to school. Please help to purchase these supplies through this Amazon Wish List: https://www.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/ls/1GDBPHHQTTKJK/?ref_=lol_ov_le
BOYS & GIRLS BASKETBALL
The boys and girls basketball teams have been hard at work practicing since November, and are now in the middle of their season. Currently games are closed to spectators due to COVID, but make sure to give the athletes some cheers if you see them around school. Next week the boys will compete against Van Ness Elementary School, and the girls will play Drew Elementary School.
GOFUNDME FOR PAYNE FAMILY
Payne has shared a GoFundMe link for a 14-year-old former Payne student who suffered an eye injury at his school. His sibling is a current Payne student. Please consider supporting this family. https://gofund.me/2c304ffd
SATURDAY ARTS ACADEMY STARTS SOON
It’s been great to see all of the interest for the Payne Saturday Arts Academy. Classes still are available for every age group. The spring session starts Saturday, Feb. 5. It’s not too late to sign up: https://tinyurl.com/paynesaturday
- Piano is the Academy’s most popular instrument, and only 3 beginner piano spots are left for Kindergarten-2nd grades.
- Dance Institute of Washington’s ballet has lots of availability for 3rd-5th grades.
- Only ONE spot is left for PK3/PK4!
- Tiny violins are so cute. Violin 1 has room for Kindergarten-5th grades.
- Guitar 1: Spots are available for 1st-5th grades, and the teacher plans to teach them rock and pop songs the kids will recognize.
- There’s lots of room for basketball for Kindergarten-5th grades.
- Piano 2, Violin 2 and Robots 2 spots are available for kids who completed Level 1 in the fall.
- We are seeing movement on the waitlist, so reach out to Jessica Coomes (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you’d like to be added to waitlists for classes that are currently full.
Tuition waivers are available for Payne families. Join us!
After school enrichment programming is well underway for grades PK3-2nd. The full schedule is attached to this email. This eight-week session is running Mondays through Thursdays. PK3, PK4 and Kindergarten have tumbling and yoga; first grade has dance and yoga; and second grade has drama and dance. Each grade has programming that differs from the fall session. Enrichment coordinator Kate Abend says we had hoped to have drama for additional grades but were unable to secure instructors; other grades may have drama in the spring.
Thanks to all parents who have made the recommended afterschool enrichment tuition payment of $300 per child, which covers all programming for the entire year (about $6 per class). We were grateful to receive several additional tuition payments prior to winter break. If you intend to pay tuition but have not yet done so, please remit payment at www.PayPal.com/us/fundraiser/charity/2334146 or drop a check in the PTSA box at the front desk. Include the notation “PK3-2nd Grade Enrichment” on your payment. Partial tuition payments also are welcome. All Payne After School students will continue to participate in enrichment programming regardless of ability to pay.
Questions about afterschool enrichment? Email Kate Abend
Feb. 5: Payne Saturday Arts Academy starts
Feb. 16: 6 p.m., PTSA virtual meeting
Feb. 21-25: No school
Feb. 24: Daniel A. Payne’s Birthday