Join us for Payne’s Black History Month Program this Friday, February 24 at 2:00 pm in the school’s Auditorium.
If you haven’t already, please take a moment to sign-up to bring an item for our monthly teacher appreciation
- Bring your food/drink items to the school by 8:10 am or leave them in the refrigerator by Ms Cox’s desk the night before
- Food should be dropped off in the room next to Ms. Cox’s desk.
- Please don’t bring items with nuts.
- There are 65 staff members at Payne.
- Sign up via the service below to receive email reminders.
- Teacher Appreciation Breakfast will take place the last Tuesday of every month.
- If you have questions, email Sharnece Ward
We are trying to raise funds by February 28 to purchase Scholastic Libraries (300 books each!) for the 4th and 5th grade classrooms. Scholastic has a 50% discount available that will expire after the end of the month!
Our Robotics Club won the Elementary School Excellence Award and has qualified for the 2017 VEX Worlds Championship in Louisville, KY this April! We are hoping to raise enough funds to pay for the registration, bus fare, and lodging so our students can take advantage of this exciting opportunity!
The attached link has more details. Donations are tax deductible. Please reach out with any questions and feel free to share this information with others!
Read Across America Day: March 2, 2017
- This is a fun day to celebrate reading that falls on Dr. Suess’ birthday. Parents are invited to read aloud at school during one of two windows: 9:30 am – 11:30 am, or 1:30 pm – 2:30 pm. (see attached flier)
- If you are interested in volunteering to read a story, please contact Denise Patterson (Reading Specialist) at email@example.com or call (202) 425-5966
Scholastic Book Fair: Week of March 14th
- You may have noticed fliers around school last week about our book fair! More information will be sent home in the coming weeks about how/when to purchase books.
- The book fair will ‘launch’ at Math Night, on Tuesday March 14th from 6 pm – 8 pm.
- Volunteers are needed for 1-hour shifts before and after school, and during lunch.
- If you are available and interested in volunteering, please sign up on the link below. This will help us guarantee we are able to keep the fair open every day!
April 13, 2017
6:00 pm – 8:00 pm
Save the date for Payne’s 1st Annual Spring Auction – Thursday, April 13th! If you would like to volunteer and/or organize your classroom’s themed auction basket, contact Charles Swartz at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Starting next week, Payne’s Girl Scouts Troop 1455 will sell cookies on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays after school from 3:30 pm – 4:30 pm. Parents can also return their completed order forms and payments to their teacher. Cookies are $4.00 per box. All earnings will go toward troop supplies, badges, field trips, and outdoor adventures! Thanks to all who have purchased so far. Our first batch completely sold out!
Join parents, the State Superintendent of Education and others on Feb 21 at Capitol Hill Montessori @ Logan or on Feb 27 at CHAW to share your thoughts on the District’s proposed State Accountability Plan.
Make Your Voice Heard: ESSA Community Meetings
The State Board members are co-hosting a series of community meetings this month in all eight wards in the District to collect community input on the Every Student Succeed Act(ESSA) Accountability plan. Your feedback is needed to determine how we define quality schools and rate our schools!
Ward 6 | Feb. 27 | 6-8 p.m. | Capitol Hill Arts Workshop, 545 Seventh St. SE. Click here to register for Feb. 27
Flyers: English | Amharic | Ch inese | French | Korean | Span ish | Vietnamese
If you can’t join us in Ward 6, please join another conversation; click here for more information.
Thanks for your support!
- February 22 – Parent Cafe (PreK, Kindergarten, First Grades) 5:30 pm
- February 24 – Black History Month Program
- February 28 – Teacher Appreciation Breakfast
- March 1 – My School DC Application Deadline (grades PK3 – 8)
- March 2 – Read Across America Day
- March 3 – Parent Teacher Conference Day: No School for Students
- March 14 – Math Night & Scholastic Book Fair
- April 13 – 1st Annual Payne Spring Auction Fundraiser