Wildcat Wednesday: PTA Newsletter – October 19, 2016
Thanks to all who attended and supported Payne’s first Annual Fall Festival! Over 200 children attended with their families, to enjoy a beautiful October day filled with pumpkins, family activities, food, and playground fun. Special thanks to the teachers who helped from start to finish on their day off, to Principal Byrd and AP Whitlock for taking over the face painting table (and for showing off their dance moves!), and to the dedicated group of 30+ parent volunteers who worked for weeks to organize the event. Here’s to many more Fall Festivals to come!” If you haven’t already, click below to follow us on social media to view more pictures of this event and others.
Picture Day – Friday, October 21
Some things to remember:
Completed order forms must include payments with cash or money orders made payable to Rave Photographers. No change will be made.
Uniforms are not required.
Three family members can be in the same picture at no extra cost.
Looking to purchase more Payne Elementary shirts for your child or for yourself? Look no further! Parents can now order shirts online for the entire family. Click below to place your order today!
If you have a little extra time on your hands consider volunteering at one the following upcoming events:
- Thursday 10/20 – 10:30 am -11:30 am – Payne Open House
- What: Prospective families visit Payne to learn more about the curriculum, programs, and school community.
- Volunteer Needs: 1-2 parents to accompany tour and Open House to answer questions and provide a parent perspective
- Thursday 10/20 – 3:30 am – 4:30 am – After-school Helper Request (1-day only)*
- What: There is a staff meeting that they would like some of the aftercare teachers to be able to attend. They would like a few parents to help in the PreK3-Kindergarten after care rooms.
- Volunteer Needs: 4 Volunteers*This may be a recurring need the 3rd Thursday of the month, to coincide with the monthly staff meetings. I will find out more this week*
- Friday 10/28 – 5:30 pm – 7:30 pm Hilloween
- What: A free local event on the Friday before Halloween. Local schools and businesses have a table to spread Halloween cheer! Each table can pick what they offer, but ideas include candy, stickers, glow bracelets, tattoos, etc. Each table gives away things for free, and we already have some materials purchased (and leftover from Fall Festival for this). There is the option to fundraise as well if interested.For more information, visit: https://www.facebook.com/HilloweenatEasternMarket
- Volunteer Needs: At least 3 people to work the table for the 2 hours. More are welcome, if people want to split it into two shifts. More can also be involved with planning, as we decide if we want to sell baked goods/cider, etc.Last year I sat at the table and my son helped hand out glow bracelets, so children are welcome to ‘help’ for this event.
- Sunday 11/6 – 2:00 pm – 5:00 pm School Information Night
- What: Yearly event to share information about school options for prospective parents. There will be tables for public elementary, middle, and high school, charter schools, and private schools. Tables typically have school staff and parents to share information about the school and answer questions.
- Volunteer Needs: 2-4 volunteers for the day (only 1-2 parents at a time, each school/table doesn’t get a large space). Other parents can help create photo poster boards, prep materials beforehand.
If you would like more details on any of these events, please email Carolyn Bowen at email@example.com.
Save the Date! Additional details coming soon:
- November 1 – Payne Day at Pretzel Bakery
- November 8 – Election Day Bake Sale
- October 21 – Picture Day
- October 28 – No School for Students: Reecords Day
- October 28 – Hilloween
- November 4 – No School for Students: Parent Teacher Conference Day
- November 6 – School Information Night
- November 8 – Election Day
- November 11 – No School for Students, Teachers & Staff: Veterans Day
- November 24 & 25 – No School for Students, Teachers & Staff: Thanksgving Break
Click here to see the school calendar for the year: http://dcps.dc.gov/sites/default/files/dc/sites/dcps/publication/attachments/2016-2017%20DCPS%20Traditional%20School%20Calendar.pdf
Eliot-Hine Open House Dates