Reminder: No School for students this Friday, December 2.
A Musical Winter Celebration Spectacular for All
Doors Open: 12:30 pm
Program Begins: 1:00 pm
We are still looking for a few more parents to volunteer during EdFEST on December 10 from 11 am – 3 pm. Parents will support teachers and staff as needed and share their experiences from a parent’s prospective. If you can volunteer, please email Carolyn Bowen at firstname.lastname@example.org. EdFEST is an annual event that allows parents to explore the city’s many public and charter school options. Thanks to everyone who have committed to helping out during Ed Fest.
|Holiday Gift Shop
December 8 – 19, 2016
12:00 pm – 2:45 pm
The Holiday Gift Shop is coming to Payne December 8 – 19. During this time students will have an opportunity to purchase gifts for family and friends in a safe, comfortable and friendly environment.
If you would like to volunteer in the Holiday Gift Shop, please sign up here:
Library: 8:30 am – 9:15 am
- Event Plans
- Participation/Partnering with PTA
- ECE Aftercare Programming
Library: 5:30 pm – 7:00 pm
- Potluck donations will be accepted. Stay tuned for an opportunity to RSVP and sign up for a potluck donation.
Please save the date for our December PTA meeting on Thursday, December 15th at 6:00 pm. We will be joined by Principal Byrd for a discussion about her goals and vision for Payne Elementary School.
We will also have a discussion and welcome input as we map out goals for the Payne PTA in areas such as supporting teachers, increasing parent engagement, raising funds for classrooms, and improving communication.
The PTA Board has worked to plan an active and fun year for Payne families. Future events/meetings will include topics such as:
- Planning for future school events & activities
- Math Night
- Family Game Night
- Movie Night
- Looking ahead to next year – Meet Payne teachers and learn about what your child will do in the 2017-2018 school year!
GREAT NEWS! Capitol Hill Community Foundation has funded the following grants for Payne:
Supplemental Art Supplies – $2200
Spanish Text books and libraries – $1000
Printer and toner for deaf/hard of hearing and visually impaired – $800
Grade level classroom libraries for First Grade – $2050
Field Trips for 3rd Grade and 5th grade to support reading curriculum – $1210
After School Programs Enrichment for PreK 3/4 – $1700
Please give Nell Todd, Amy Lee, Lexi Smith, Monica Hicks and Kate Abend a BIG THANK YOU next time you see them.
We will also have spring grants to apply for soon. If you want to join the grant writing fun, please contact Principal Byrd through the website contact form.
Are you looking for ways to support a classroom? Today many teachers are using alternative ways to request much needed materials and experiences for their students. Please follow the following links to easily donate to any or all of the following:
- Books for 3rd Grade Class – Today A Reader. Tomorrow a Leader.: https://www.donorschoose.org/project/today-a-reader-tomorrow-a-leader/2242108/.
- Computer – Connect to Close the Gap!: https://www.donorschoose.org/project/connect-to-close-the-gap/2251337/.
Young Education Professionals (YEP):
- Books for 2nd Grade Class: YEP is raising money to buy books for our students. Parents can use the following link to make donations: https://donorbox.org/fundraiser-for-payne-elementary-school-books.
- December 1 – Coffe with the Prinicipal
- December 2 – No School for Students: Professional Development Day
- December 8 – Musical Winter Celebration
- December 8 – Pre-K Parent Committee Meeting
- December 12 – My School DC Lottery Application Opens for SY 2017 – 2018
- December 20 – Pre-K Parent Cafe
- December 22 – January 2 – No School for Students and Teachers: Winter Break