First Day Instructions and Procedures
Welcome to the start of a wonderful 2018-19 school year. Thank you for joining and supporting us in making sure our students have a great year. Below is information for the first day and some additional policies and procedures we will be enforcing this year.
First Day of School:
- Kindergarten through 5th grade – Monday, August 20th
- PreK 3 and 4 – Thursday, August 23rd
- All families begin the day on the playground, parents are invited to get to know one another and students are encouraged to play.
- Doors open at 8:10 for breakfast
- At 8:40 students will be escorted back to the large playground, where they will be greeted by their teachers. Teachers will have signs with their names and class lists.
- Students will not be allowed in the building prior to 8:10am
- Before care is available through the PTA, contact Davis5@dc.gov for more information
- Students not enrolled will not be able to attend classes. Enrollment should be completed prior to the first day of school.
- New enrollment documents, health forms and proof of residency are needed for enrollment
- Pre K3 and Pre K4 – navy blue top and bottom.
- K-5 – white top and navy blue bottom.
- The instructional day begins at 8:40, students are considered tardy at 8:45
- Tardy students should enter through the front door and sign in the main office book for a tardy pass.
Security and ID Checks:
- We are implementing a 100% ID check process. Security will be checking ID’s and will assist in directing you to your destination
- All adults who are not employees of Payne must enter through the front door by security. The side door is not an entrance or exit option.
- As cell phones are not needed for instruction, they must be turned off and out of sight.
- Adults will confiscate any cell phone in sight.
- Confiscated cell phones can only be retrieved by parents at the front desk.
- School ends at 3:15pm.
- All parents should pick their students up on the playground.
- Children must be signed out with the teacher. Parents are not allowed to enter through the side door. Students who are not in afterschool and are not picked up on time will be at the front area near security desk.
- Early dismissal ends at 2:30pm.
- Between 2:30 and 3:15, no students will be released from classes, please plan accordingly. It is important to minimize disruption to learning in the classrooms.