- Elect a chair
- Community Member- Appoint
- Role of the LSAT and specific goals to achieve for this school year
- Stephanie Byrd
- Steve Bowen
- Mark Jordan
- Jason Ward
- Aisha Hemphill-Merritt
- Fareeda Gayle, Teacher for deaf and hard of hearing
- Juanita Stokes
- Ms. Thompson- Building representative
- Dierdre Duffy
Not in attendance:
- Second Teacher Representative
- Community Member (TBD)
- Nomination and acceptance of Steve Bowen as Chair of LSAT
- Key driving parameter of meeting is to stick to agenda to be respectful of everyone’s time.
Discussion on Role of LSAT and specific goals to achieve for this school year:
- Think of it as the Budget but LSAT’s role is much more than that.
- Sounding Board
- Good to be a conduit for parent community.
- Can bring constructive ideas
- Come up with specific set of goals where you can bring some ideas to the LSAT and how PTA differs.
- Collaborative nature of LSAT for allocation of school resources, curriculum options, local school comprehensive plan.
- SAT about academics, advisory board for academic achievement. (Principal Byrd). What is the place for parents to process experiences, can discuss that.
- Defined/Discrete role- another way to get input from parents/teachers/community for how we are shaping the school (Byrd). Not only academic component, curriculum options, local school comprehensive plan. Think Tank to consider everyone’s perspective. Students on the LSAT? Student Council share their thoughts.
- Goals for school feed budgetary considerations. Budget comes January/February.
- Starting metrics/dashboard accessible for LSAT or community? So we know what decisions need to be made to get us to goals.
- Look at data school provides to community and see if there are ways to make information more available. What kind of data are we publishing.
- Make sure data relates to the goals set forth.
- Easier way to answer question to answer question of where did we start, now, going, and how do we get there.
- Definition of Data- what is it that we are referencing. Does the PTA have information on what parents want to know? Reading and Math figures across different years.
- What programs have we tried that have failed, also wondering those questions on programs, pedagogy, teaching, expectations for students and parents for what they are getting out of the school.
- What is the data- surveys, gathering how, is it too much? Data on test scores, goals of projects, numbers and substance. Post it somewhere it can be tracked for the community.
- Growth, teachers explaining what is happening specifically in their classroom.
- Assessment- i ready data, what my kid is doing in class.
- List of programs that we can assess- retention was it effective and affective for kids especially programs that cost money
- How do we interact with school- what is the school culture
- Re-enrollment-76% 106% enrolled- over-enrolled. Retention of programs, kids, why aren’t they staying to the 5th grade year. What can we implement to keep kids. Exit interviews.
- Where are the struggles, and how do we help resolve, help with direction of the school.
- Goal of LSAT is to measure performance
- What is the 5 year plan, how far into it are you and how do you self assess.
- Timeline- trying to do this to inform the community better and then the community can inform Principals decisions.
- Comprehensive School Plan timeline has shifted, done for this year. Timeline starts in April, needs assessment done, data analyzed and these are the goals for the next year.
- Will send out this plan for everyone to read (see picture)
- What about surveys, Mark will follow up on who is best suited to support (Andria, others?)
- Meetings held the first Tuesdays of the month at 5:30 to be staggered with the PTA meetings
- Charlie will do meeting minutes and Ms. Gayle will be backup stenographer
- Key roles of LSAT will drive activities and it is important to create and get agreement ASAP.
- Write draft mission statement/goals for LSAT- to be kept short (2 to 3 main ones)
- Conduct offline discussion on community member participant
- Mark to conduct preliminary discussion on survey creators