If you hate weeds and love (or even mildly tolerate) yard work, please join Payne’s new science teacher, Mr. Doug Creef, at the school at 10 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 28. He’s looking for 5-7 volunteers to help clean up the garden space in the front of the school along C Street. Bring yourself and gear: shovels, rakes, a wheel barrel and a weed eater. Beautify the yard, and you’ll also be making room for Payne’s soon-to-arrive chickens.
SHOP AND SUPPORT PAYNE
While the Fall Festival will be the PTSA’s big fundraiser for the fall, the PTSA has organized simple, small ways to raise funds. Here’s a roundup of ways you can raise money for Payne when you shop:
- Box Tops for Education. Box Tops are worth 10 cents each, but that money can add up quickly. So keep eating that cereal and mac and cheese. The PTSA can earn money in two ways: (1) Cut out Box Tops from eligible products and bring them to the collection box in the front office on Ms. Cox’s desk. (2) Skip the cutting, and scan your receipt through the Box Tops app when you’ve purchased eligible items, and presto, the school will get credited for the Box Tops.
- AmazonSmile: The PTSA will receive a portion of eligible purchases when you shop AmazonSmile by using this URL: smile.amazon.com and selecting “Payne Elementary Schools Parents Teachers Students Association” as your charity.
- Primary.com: The children’s clothing site offers tops and bottoms that work great for Payne uniforms. Use the Payne school link, and 10 percent of the sale will go to the school. This program raises more for Payne than any other.
- Harris Teeter: Link your VIC card to code 8144, either online or in person at the store, and the school will get a portion of eligible purchases. You must link your VIC card each year to the Payne code, so even if you linked it last year, you’ll need to do it again to ensure the school gets money.
- CertifiKID Gives: CertifiKID offers deals on family-friendly events such as Disney on Ice and haunted houses. CertifiKID will donate $5 to the PTSA with every purchase of $20 or more with the code PAYNE after the code has been used at least 10 times.
THANK YOU, OFFICERS.
This week is National Security Officer Appreciation Week, and the PTSA would like to send a big thank you to Payne’s security team: Officer Lisa Simpson and Officer Danielle Goodwine. This is Officer Simpson’s fourth year at Payne and Officer Goodwine’s first.
The PTSA profiled Officer Simpson in October 2018. At the time, she spoke about the importance of her role: “I am the first person anyone sees, so it’s very important my eyes are open along with my ears and that I monitor everything and anything that comes through this door.”
FEEDER SCHOOL SHOUTOUT.
Sept. 24-26: Scholastic Book Fair, Main Lobby
Sept. 25: Literacy Night, 5 p.m. Games, crafts, writing workshops and more
Sept. 25: Fourth Grade Potluck, 4:30 p.m.
Oct. 2: Walk to School Day, 7:30 a.m., Lincoln Park
Oct. 8: PTSA Meeting, 6-7 p.m.
Oct. 11-14: No school
Oct. 26: Fall Festival, 11 a.m.-3 p.m.
Oct. 31: Fall Field Day